Calling all Kate Humble and Chris Packham enthusiasts. Fancy stepping out for your own Springwatch?
The Prince Hall Hotel on Dartmoor has introduced some special guided wildlife walks for anyone wanting to learn about the moor’s feathered and furry inhabitants.
The exclusive new walks – which depart direct from the hotel – will help nature lovers identify their buzzards from their blackbirds amongst some of Dartmoor’s most picturesque scenery. Escorted by local expert, teacher and environmental educator, Richard Hibbert, hotel guests can enjoy thrilling wildlife encounters, secret corners and breathtaking views from dawn chorus to dusk, including:
- WhIntroduction to Dartmoor landscapes and wildlife (buzzard, skylark, fox)
- River walks along the West Dart (goosanders, dippers, grey wagtails, possible kingfishers and a chance of otters and salmon)
- Introduction to bird songs and calls (common birds including blackbird, robin, chaffinch, wren)
- Dawn chorus birdsong (birds such as song thrush, cuckoo, redstart, spotted flycatcher, treecreeper, woodpeckers; April to June) and back to the hotel for breakfast
- Atmospheric dusk excursions onto the moor to look for specialities such as snipe and nightjar (May-July) and back to the hotel for a nightcap
Birds that have been seen recently on walks around Prince Hall include peregrine, hen harrier, merlin, teal, goosander, woodcock, snipe, crossbill and brambling. Otter tracks have also been found.
Set in the heart of Dartmoor, Prince Hall provides the ultimate base for exploring the park’s 368 square miles of great natural beauty, ranging from deep wooded valleys and patchwork fields, to the rugged splendour of the tors and open moors.
The Prince Hall offers half day guided walks through to a weekend Wildlife Watch Package that includes two nights accommodation including dinner, bed and breakfast.
Now where are those binoculars….?
- How Steven Spielberg found War Horse’s third character in Dartmoor (guardian.co.uk)
- Flying the nest: Kate Humble quits Springwatch (mirror.co.uk)